Translate

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

True to my style, this blog, which I really just started had to take a little break as I have been busy giving pastry lessons these last few weeks to a girl who works with my husband. It was something that I didn’t think I would enjoy doing, but on the contrary, was actually a lot of fun. During those weeks, with the addition of a teething baby, who at times was positively angry, I discovered one of the most awesome farmers markets yet, The Alvor Farmers Markets in the Algarve. And better yet, they are only five minutes from home. 

                                

They are simple with lots of fresh and seasonal fruit and vegetables, along with breads, baked goods, cheeses, oils, specialized regional products, as well as flowers and plants. 


The farmers set up their stalls every Sunday morning right by the river, making for a perfect setting, especially when the sky is shining blue.       

For me there are a few reasons why these markets are just the best, apart from the obvious of all the produce being fresh from the growers. They are small, but not too small, still offering lots of choice, but small enough to have a look and easily spot what you want to buy. And you know everything there was put there that day. The produce is that fresh you can smell the scent of herbs in the air as they are put in the bag.

 

And everything lasts, I can keep things for two weeks and are they are still good.
The markets are relaxing, no one is in a rush. It is Sunday morning and people are here to go at their own quiet and casual pace, perhaps eating a fried donut, called a fartura, as they stroll around.


                        

The last Sunday after arriving home we decided to make breakfast with the amazing strawberries that we had just bought. Mario made me my first Portuguese Toast, pretty much like French toast but we are in Portugal so has to be Portuguese Toast J topped with yoghurt and strawberries. Traditionally here the toast is made by soaking thick slices of bread in milk until soft, then dipped in lightly whisked eggs and fried with oil or butter, and finally finished by coating in cinnamon sugar.

A sugar bomb, but delicious! Hence the need for 
strawberries, this bread needs someth
ing healthy added to it to lessen the guilt.









And to let you know how crazily good these strawberries were; after cleaning Valentina after she finished her strawberries, she smelt like fairy floss for the next few hours. Even more of a reason for me to say that I could just eat her all up!



1 comment:

  1. I know this was a month ago but I can't see the photos - I've tried on my phone, ipad and computer. The last ones are there but not most of them! I would love to see them!

    ReplyDelete